Scenestars Live! - Holly Cole - Returned Love - Plus Interview & MP3
"I was a writer before I was a musician" says Cole. "After high school I needed a place to get away to learn to be myself, I wanted to really just cutoff and go find myself I guess."
More than simply finding out whom she was, Cole seems to have figured out all of the different things she could be. She returned to Memphis after a year in LA to attend Memphis College of Art to study painting. Although she did not finish the program, the training did eventually come in handy as she has paid several musicians with paintings for their contributions in the studio, including cellist Jonathan Kirkscey and bassist Mark Stuart.
Influenced by the lyrical stylings of R.E.M and Aimee Mann, Cole's voice is reminiscent of Kristen Hersh of Throwing Muses fame, sometimes dark and forlorn but also lighthearted at times. The 6 songs on the EP display a wide array of styles from brooding folk rock to more twangy alt-country. The content of Cole's songs overflow with depth and color, while transporting the listener to the scene of the crime.
"I used to write strictly about relationships but that got kind of boring so now I write more about human nature" says Cole. "It's like with (R.E.M. song) Nightswimming, you know exactly what it feels like to be there when that song is happening. That's what I want my songs to be like. You know what that feeling is, you're there, and it's a visual style, not an abstract one."
This was not Cole's first foray into recording, but she feels like this time it finally happened the way it was supposed to. Scheduled for studio time 4 days after the Easley-McCain fire in 2005, she tends to look at the problems she has had to overcome in getting her career off the ground more as speed bumps than road blocks, and along the way she has met the people that have influenced her music the most, including JD Reager of Glossary and Unclaimed Recordings.
"JD has been such an influence on this record because he made the songs exactly the way that it sounded in my head" says Cole. "I feel like everything has happened for a reason, because I don't think I was really ready until now."
As for her move back to Memphis from the larger, more musically connected city of Los Angles, it's a move Cole says that she does not regret.
"I missed Memphis and something about it is just alluring, I think anyone that moves away misses it, it's enchanting" says Cole.
Holly Cole - Returned Love - MP3
http://scenestars.net/2006/07/scenestars-live-holly-cole-banner.php
Labels: holly cole, Scenestars Live