I Was There: Oppenheimer & They Might Be Giants @ Newby's
I'll be the first to admit that writing for a music blog has a few perks. Aside from the obvious international celebrity that it has lent to my persona, there are the few occasions when I get assigned to cover a band that I love. Brooklyn, NY's They Might Be Giants is a band that I love - and have followed for around fifteen years, since I was in middle school. I still remember running across their video for "Don't Let's Start" on MTV's 120 Minutes program, back in the days when MTV still played music videos from time to time. I was blown away . . . what the hell was this that I was watching/listening to? I didn't like it much at first (I was much more into loud, punk-ish music at the time), but at the same time, couldn't get it out of my head. It was really weird and full of manic energy, but also incredibly tuneful and sad. Here, just watch it:
Eventually, of course, I bought the record and fell in love with the group. I felt that I HAD to come to a greater understanding of this weird little band that only one other person at school had even heard of.
Now, let's fast forward . . . ten album purchases and a handful of live shows later, I had become a fan. So it was with no reservations whatsoever that I shamelessly lobbied to get myself in to see the band on their recent tour-stop in Memphis, with the Irish indie/electronic duo Oppenheimer in tow.


I wasn't terribly familiar with Oppenheimer before Sunday's show, but I was actually rather impressed with the duo's performance, which featured live drums, synths, guitars and vocals played to a pre-recorded backing track of other instrumental flourishes. Fans of the Flaming Lips or the Postal Service would likely appreciate Oppenheimer's melancholy, digi-pop songwriting, and the band comes across as very funny and sincere in the live setting, which also helps. I have seen none other than a (pre-fame) John Mayer practically booed off of the stage by TMBG fans for taking himself too seriously.


As always, They Might Be Giants were tremendous, performing all the familiar hits ("Birdhouse in Your Soul," "Particle Man," "Boss of Me") that more casual listeners would want to hear, in addition to more obscure album cuts ("Fingertips," "James K. Polk," etc.) for hard-core fans. Though I would have liked to hear a bit more older stuff (only one song, "Purple Toupee," from the TMBG's classic first two albums), I can hardly blame the band for not playing 20+ year old songs - by this point, I probably wouldn't either. All in all, a swell night.
Speaking of swell nights, I'll be at the Felice Brothers/Bright Eyes show tonight, and it's sure to be one. Stay tuned, I'm bringin' the camera.
Oppenheimer
They Might Be Giants
Eventually, of course, I bought the record and fell in love with the group. I felt that I HAD to come to a greater understanding of this weird little band that only one other person at school had even heard of.
Now, let's fast forward . . . ten album purchases and a handful of live shows later, I had become a fan. So it was with no reservations whatsoever that I shamelessly lobbied to get myself in to see the band on their recent tour-stop in Memphis, with the Irish indie/electronic duo Oppenheimer in tow.
I wasn't terribly familiar with Oppenheimer before Sunday's show, but I was actually rather impressed with the duo's performance, which featured live drums, synths, guitars and vocals played to a pre-recorded backing track of other instrumental flourishes. Fans of the Flaming Lips or the Postal Service would likely appreciate Oppenheimer's melancholy, digi-pop songwriting, and the band comes across as very funny and sincere in the live setting, which also helps. I have seen none other than a (pre-fame) John Mayer practically booed off of the stage by TMBG fans for taking himself too seriously.
As always, They Might Be Giants were tremendous, performing all the familiar hits ("Birdhouse in Your Soul," "Particle Man," "Boss of Me") that more casual listeners would want to hear, in addition to more obscure album cuts ("Fingertips," "James K. Polk," etc.) for hard-core fans. Though I would have liked to hear a bit more older stuff (only one song, "Purple Toupee," from the TMBG's classic first two albums), I can hardly blame the band for not playing 20+ year old songs - by this point, I probably wouldn't either. All in all, a swell night.
Speaking of swell nights, I'll be at the Felice Brothers/Bright Eyes show tonight, and it's sure to be one. Stay tuned, I'm bringin' the camera.
Oppenheimer
They Might Be Giants