Alive Experience: Ted Leo & The Pharmacists w/ Birds of Avalon @ The Hi-Tone 11-7-07
All photos taken by Sean Davis with the exception of pictures no. one and nine taken by Jim Duong aka YEAH, I STILL LOVE HER.

The Birds of Avalon's lead singer, Craig Tilley -- A baby-faced Robert Plant look-a-like -- hit his knees on the first song. The influence of Led Zeppelin is undeniable. If I had to categorize them, I would say new-age classic rock -- typecasted right along with Wolfmother. Tilley wears many hats: He manages the lights, plays keys and tambourine, and raises his mic stand to the heavens -- a jack of all trades.
Midway through their set I was dared by a friend to put my leg up on the stage, lean into it and start headbanging -- yeah, it was that hard, although I did not accept the dare. After my face was changed from a solid to a liquid by the North Carolina rockers, I finalized my decision in purchasing a pair of earplugs. BOA could and should (truly) have a song on Guitar Hero.
After a lengthy and detailed sound check, Ted Leo, of Ted Leo and The Pharmacists, complimented Joel Gradinger's skillz (Hi-Tone's Manager of Sound). Just when things began to cook, an amp blew.

BOA were kind enough to loan an amp, and the show continued with a few more hitches. There was beautiful guitar strumming, which was a nice, distracting substitute during the awkward exchange.

Leo is extremely quick with his virile moves. Along with his incredible voice control, his scissor hop is killer. Leo likes to talk too. At one point in the middle of the set he took note of his Vegas-style, Robert Goulet (may he R.I.P) impression. He went on to say it was a safe bet that some more of the stuff (BOA's gear) that was packed up by the stage was soon to be on stage with them. With that, he sang "on and on and on" shouting the hymn of praise "ooh la diddy whoa ooh."


I really began to get into the groove when guitarist, James (below) would play his maraca and/or tambourine.
It was really hypnotizing when Leo kept singing and repeating the line "it's all right" during "The Lost Brigade."

It was like some kind of auricle illusion because I could hear him interchanging the lines it's so right and so bright, but he wasn't come to find out.
At the end of "The Lost Brigade" he slammed and smashed his guitar -- perhaps the vibration was too great or maybe the energy was too intense?
Ed. Note - Thanks to our photographer, Mr. Sean Davis' keen eye, he said that Ted smashed his guitar because he tripped over something on the stage and landed on the drumkit and fell over. When he got back up he was obviously frustrated and then smashed his guitar. The whole energy idea makes it sound alot cooler, don't you think?
He then said, "Did I lie because I don't fuckin' lie" and was handed a guitar from BOA's covered gear by the stage.
During the stage changes, James shared that this show was pretty much a one act play of their spring tour.

Here is a bit of humility on my part: I had a double-take during the next song, "Colleen" because I thought Leo was singing Jolene; and so, I just assumed it was a really bitchin' cover of Dolly's "Jolene." (I'm really thankful I questioned Leo about the song after the show. That could have been a real embarrassment.)
Next, their beautiful and gentle reggae tune "Unwanted Things" from their latest album, Living With the Living.
A little more talk: After Leo shared about their journey the next day to the frigid Northeast, someone yelled, "Move to Memphis!"
Without hesitation, he said, "Hmm, move to Memphis... maybe...call me?!"
Leo then sang a solo version of a 'Jersey folk song' that is near and dear to his heart -- The Boss' "Dancing in the Dark." Who can resist Bruce? And with that, I hopped on stage and did my best Courntey Cox impression.


Leo then went into "Timorous Me" solo...

...and was soon accompanied by his pharmacists and brought the house down.



I could have sworn Leo sang the line "a whole lotta rockin' with you fo sho" at one point during one of the last songs. However, I did not confirm this and it would appear that there was a good chance I had lost some of my hearing by that point. (Either way, the linked clip above is one of the most hilarious moments, to me, in Superbad, fo sho.)

With that, TLATP left us with their graceful feedback and a little distortion. It sounded like a helicopter was landing in the room, no kidding.
All and all I would say a fun-filled-first-live TLATP experience.
Until I am told to take them down, enjoy two of my favorite songs from Living With the Living's bonus EP:
"Already Too Late"
"Old Souls Know"
The Birds of Avalon's lead singer, Craig Tilley -- A baby-faced Robert Plant look-a-like -- hit his knees on the first song. The influence of Led Zeppelin is undeniable. If I had to categorize them, I would say new-age classic rock -- typecasted right along with Wolfmother. Tilley wears many hats: He manages the lights, plays keys and tambourine, and raises his mic stand to the heavens -- a jack of all trades.
Midway through their set I was dared by a friend to put my leg up on the stage, lean into it and start headbanging -- yeah, it was that hard, although I did not accept the dare. After my face was changed from a solid to a liquid by the North Carolina rockers, I finalized my decision in purchasing a pair of earplugs. BOA could and should (truly) have a song on Guitar Hero.
After a lengthy and detailed sound check, Ted Leo, of Ted Leo and The Pharmacists, complimented Joel Gradinger's skillz (Hi-Tone's Manager of Sound). Just when things began to cook, an amp blew.
BOA were kind enough to loan an amp, and the show continued with a few more hitches. There was beautiful guitar strumming, which was a nice, distracting substitute during the awkward exchange.
Leo is extremely quick with his virile moves. Along with his incredible voice control, his scissor hop is killer. Leo likes to talk too. At one point in the middle of the set he took note of his Vegas-style, Robert Goulet (may he R.I.P) impression. He went on to say it was a safe bet that some more of the stuff (BOA's gear) that was packed up by the stage was soon to be on stage with them. With that, he sang "on and on and on" shouting the hymn of praise "ooh la diddy whoa ooh."
I really began to get into the groove when guitarist, James (below) would play his maraca and/or tambourine.
It was really hypnotizing when Leo kept singing and repeating the line "it's all right" during "The Lost Brigade."
It was like some kind of auricle illusion because I could hear him interchanging the lines it's so right and so bright, but he wasn't come to find out.
At the end of "The Lost Brigade" he slammed and smashed his guitar -- perhaps the vibration was too great or maybe the energy was too intense?
Ed. Note - Thanks to our photographer, Mr. Sean Davis' keen eye, he said that Ted smashed his guitar because he tripped over something on the stage and landed on the drumkit and fell over. When he got back up he was obviously frustrated and then smashed his guitar. The whole energy idea makes it sound alot cooler, don't you think?
He then said, "Did I lie because I don't fuckin' lie" and was handed a guitar from BOA's covered gear by the stage.
During the stage changes, James shared that this show was pretty much a one act play of their spring tour.
Ted Leo Sings "Colleen"
Here is a bit of humility on my part: I had a double-take during the next song, "Colleen" because I thought Leo was singing Jolene; and so, I just assumed it was a really bitchin' cover of Dolly's "Jolene." (I'm really thankful I questioned Leo about the song after the show. That could have been a real embarrassment.)
Next, their beautiful and gentle reggae tune "Unwanted Things" from their latest album, Living With the Living.
A little more talk: After Leo shared about their journey the next day to the frigid Northeast, someone yelled, "Move to Memphis!"
Without hesitation, he said, "Hmm, move to Memphis... maybe...call me?!"
Leo then sang a solo version of a 'Jersey folk song' that is near and dear to his heart -- The Boss' "Dancing in the Dark." Who can resist Bruce? And with that, I hopped on stage and did my best Courntey Cox impression.
Too Much Thumb McGeorge
Leo then went into "Timorous Me" solo...
...and was soon accompanied by his pharmacists and brought the house down.
Chris Wilson Keepin' The Beat
Marty on Bass
Guitarist James With His Dance-Inducing Tamborine
I could have sworn Leo sang the line "a whole lotta rockin' with you fo sho" at one point during one of the last songs. However, I did not confirm this and it would appear that there was a good chance I had lost some of my hearing by that point. (Either way, the linked clip above is one of the most hilarious moments, to me, in Superbad, fo sho.)
With that, TLATP left us with their graceful feedback and a little distortion. It sounded like a helicopter was landing in the room, no kidding.
All and all I would say a fun-filled-first-live TLATP experience.
Until I am told to take them down, enjoy two of my favorite songs from Living With the Living's bonus EP:
"Already Too Late"
"Old Souls Know"