Live from the Hitone with The River City Tanlines
Listen to it on Breakthruradio.com.
00:29 I'm Your Negative
03:00 Black Knight
05:35 Gimme Whatever
08:36 Lookin For A Line
14:00 Time 2 Get Right
16:50 Drag U Down To My Level
19:58 Not Gonna Think About It Anymore
26:21 Cryin' Bleedin' Dyin'
29:40 My Reflection
32:32 Shoot the Eye Out!
35:37 In My Mode Rollin'
The River City Tanlines performed what will most likely be one of their last shows of 2007 on August 15th at The Hitone with opening act Wheels on Fire. Front woman Alicja Trout will probably take the rest of the year off to prepare for the birth of her first child.
Alicja Trout, Memphis' most prolific female musician, fronts not one, not two, but up to four bands. She also runs Contaminated Records, a label and mail-order catalog that started with a single from her one-time band, The Fitts. The business has released nine records and sells almost 500 different titles.
"Alicja always seems to have so much going on, I don't know how she finds time to be in four good bands," says Chris Swenson, owner of Memphis Independent Studios.
Currently Trout makes music with garage punk band River City Tanlines, psychedelic pop noise group Mouserocket, darkwave outfit Black Sunday, and the experimental Bare Wires. When she is not making music, she's usually on tour and has played extensively throughout the United States and Europe.
Born near Baltimore, Trout, 35, moved to Memphis when she was 7. She began high school at St. Mary's Episcopal School but eventually finished at Northfield Mount Hermon, a boarding school in Massachusetts. She returned to Memphis to attend Rhodes College, where she earned a bachelor's degree in art with a minor in philosophy. She went on to earn a master's degree at Memphis College of Art.
"I was always the one who was going to be an artist and, I don't know, going to St. Mary's was like being in a John Hughes movie with a lot of snobby kids -- but at boarding school it was different because it was much more liberal, so I became more normal there," Trout says. "I wasn't a very good student but everyone associated me with art and music."
It was while attending shows at Memphis clubs like Murphy's, The Antenna Club and Barristers that she seemed to find her calling.
"It felt like I had stepped into another world because I was some kid from East Memphis," recalls Trout. "Like when I went to the Antenna Club and felt so self-conscious 'cause I didn't know anybody, and I was really shy I guess, if that's believable."
Trout's most well-known former project is probably The Lost Sounds, but she's also done time with The Clears with Shelby Bryant, Ron Franklin Entertainers, Nervous Patterns and Destruction Unit.
Before Authur Lee's death in 2006, she was asked to join his backing band. The baroque mid-'60s popster and frontman for the seminal band Love, had moved to Memphis to re-form his legendary group. Trout, Jack Yarber, Greg Roberson and Ron Franklin have agreed to be part of the new incarnation.
"When we played with Arthur once, it was so amazing because his voice is so beautiful. To meet someone in your lifetime that you've listened to their stuff a hundred times over, it's like it doesn't even matter if you ever get to do it in public because it felt so good to just practice with him."

00:29 I'm Your Negative
03:00 Black Knight
05:35 Gimme Whatever
08:36 Lookin For A Line
14:00 Time 2 Get Right
16:50 Drag U Down To My Level
19:58 Not Gonna Think About It Anymore
26:21 Cryin' Bleedin' Dyin'
29:40 My Reflection
32:32 Shoot the Eye Out!
35:37 In My Mode Rollin'
The River City Tanlines performed what will most likely be one of their last shows of 2007 on August 15th at The Hitone with opening act Wheels on Fire. Front woman Alicja Trout will probably take the rest of the year off to prepare for the birth of her first child.
Alicja Trout, Memphis' most prolific female musician, fronts not one, not two, but up to four bands. She also runs Contaminated Records, a label and mail-order catalog that started with a single from her one-time band, The Fitts. The business has released nine records and sells almost 500 different titles.
"Alicja always seems to have so much going on, I don't know how she finds time to be in four good bands," says Chris Swenson, owner of Memphis Independent Studios.
Currently Trout makes music with garage punk band River City Tanlines, psychedelic pop noise group Mouserocket, darkwave outfit Black Sunday, and the experimental Bare Wires. When she is not making music, she's usually on tour and has played extensively throughout the United States and Europe.
Born near Baltimore, Trout, 35, moved to Memphis when she was 7. She began high school at St. Mary's Episcopal School but eventually finished at Northfield Mount Hermon, a boarding school in Massachusetts. She returned to Memphis to attend Rhodes College, where she earned a bachelor's degree in art with a minor in philosophy. She went on to earn a master's degree at Memphis College of Art.
"I was always the one who was going to be an artist and, I don't know, going to St. Mary's was like being in a John Hughes movie with a lot of snobby kids -- but at boarding school it was different because it was much more liberal, so I became more normal there," Trout says. "I wasn't a very good student but everyone associated me with art and music."
It was while attending shows at Memphis clubs like Murphy's, The Antenna Club and Barristers that she seemed to find her calling.
"It felt like I had stepped into another world because I was some kid from East Memphis," recalls Trout. "Like when I went to the Antenna Club and felt so self-conscious 'cause I didn't know anybody, and I was really shy I guess, if that's believable."
Trout's most well-known former project is probably The Lost Sounds, but she's also done time with The Clears with Shelby Bryant, Ron Franklin Entertainers, Nervous Patterns and Destruction Unit.
Before Authur Lee's death in 2006, she was asked to join his backing band. The baroque mid-'60s popster and frontman for the seminal band Love, had moved to Memphis to re-form his legendary group. Trout, Jack Yarber, Greg Roberson and Ron Franklin have agreed to be part of the new incarnation.
"When we played with Arthur once, it was so amazing because his voice is so beautiful. To meet someone in your lifetime that you've listened to their stuff a hundred times over, it's like it doesn't even matter if you ever get to do it in public because it felt so good to just practice with him."
Labels: Live from the Hitone, river city tanlines