Alive Experience: Wallendas and The One Four Fives
@ The Buccaneer 8-3-07
Have you ever been to a Honky Tonk? Well, I believe I can now say that I have.
Wallendas -- who are made up of Jeremy Scott/lead vocals and guitar; Steve Parkinson on drums; Jim Duckworth/guitar; and Grayson Grant/bass and delivers a mean punch with his back-up vocals-- opened with a new song from their upcoming record -- "You Don't Have To Like It."
Oh, but I do.
Jeremy introduced the next song, "We're going to massacre a song we didn't make up." The song that they covered (very well I must say)was by Steve Marriott and the Small Faces *(didn't catch the title).

There was a quick mic switch and then, as the crowd sat attentively, they performed their endearing song, "Adrianne."
He introduced the next song by saying, "we're gonna do the sensitive thing, but we're not very good at the sensitive thing."
Bare with me now, this is what I could gather from the rest of their set -- I don't know and cannot find any information on their catalogue. The next tune I took notice of (might have been "Jackie Down" or "Jackie Diamond") was a nice toe-tappin' jam. "Fried Debit" was introduced by Jeremy declaring their "two-month-fuck-up grace period" was up and went on to sing, "kiss that fucker on the lips." They then played "Psychic Whore" by 'Fred from Jersey.' One can learn a thing or two at a Wallendas show. I learned that the key of F major is the saddest of all majors. A cover of Gram Parsons had Jeremy spasm on his guitar. "School Bus," a song they are currently recording, had me straining my ears because I thought I could kind of hear the Grateful Dead. Jeremy closed their set by saying, "Don't adjust your set, we're really that simple."
John Paul Keith is a favorite of mine. This was the first time I experienced the complete One Four Fives. The last time I saw them perform they were down two players and were 'The One Two Threes.'

The One Four Fives playing Monsieur Jeffrey Evans'
Birthday Hoedown @ the Buccaneer June 2007
photo by Don Perry
The One Four Fives -- John Argroves/drums; Kevin Cubbins/guitar; John Paul Keith/vocals, guitar; Mark Stuart/bass, vocals; and John Whittemore/pedal steel etc -- know how to have a 'Honky Tonkin' good time. They kicked things off with John Paul Keith's "Smoke in a Bottle." This is one of my favorite songs. I think I like it so much because it makes you just want to dance on up and down your dancing partner. (At least that is what it does for me.) John Whittemore's pedal steel makes me melt and think of Lucinda Williams. The bass and drums syncrontize beauifully. "Blue Rocket" nearly took my breath away. Other songs played (no clue if they were covers or not) had JPK singing, "I've been pushed around/I've been cheated been mistreated" and "oooh Mona." The last song I caught was Elvis' -- makes you wanna weep -- "Tomorrow Now." JPK mentioned earlier in their set something about "teardrops on my pillow." Well, I didn't go home and weep on my pillow...instead I dreamed about 'Honky Tonkin' until dawn.
*Bonus: STEVE MARRIOTT THE GREAT! Featuring songs from Small Faces and Humble Pie.
Wallendas -- who are made up of Jeremy Scott/lead vocals and guitar; Steve Parkinson on drums; Jim Duckworth/guitar; and Grayson Grant/bass and delivers a mean punch with his back-up vocals-- opened with a new song from their upcoming record -- "You Don't Have To Like It."
Oh, but I do.
Jeremy introduced the next song, "We're going to massacre a song we didn't make up." The song that they covered (very well I must say)was by Steve Marriott and the Small Faces *(didn't catch the title).
There was a quick mic switch and then, as the crowd sat attentively, they performed their endearing song, "Adrianne."
He introduced the next song by saying, "we're gonna do the sensitive thing, but we're not very good at the sensitive thing."
Bare with me now, this is what I could gather from the rest of their set -- I don't know and cannot find any information on their catalogue. The next tune I took notice of (might have been "Jackie Down" or "Jackie Diamond") was a nice toe-tappin' jam. "Fried Debit" was introduced by Jeremy declaring their "two-month-fuck-up grace period" was up and went on to sing, "kiss that fucker on the lips." They then played "Psychic Whore" by 'Fred from Jersey.' One can learn a thing or two at a Wallendas show. I learned that the key of F major is the saddest of all majors. A cover of Gram Parsons had Jeremy spasm on his guitar. "School Bus," a song they are currently recording, had me straining my ears because I thought I could kind of hear the Grateful Dead. Jeremy closed their set by saying, "Don't adjust your set, we're really that simple."
John Paul Keith is a favorite of mine. This was the first time I experienced the complete One Four Fives. The last time I saw them perform they were down two players and were 'The One Two Threes.'
The One Four Fives playing Monsieur Jeffrey Evans'
Birthday Hoedown @ the Buccaneer June 2007
photo by Don Perry
The One Four Fives -- John Argroves/drums; Kevin Cubbins/guitar; John Paul Keith/vocals, guitar; Mark Stuart/bass, vocals; and John Whittemore/pedal steel etc -- know how to have a 'Honky Tonkin' good time. They kicked things off with John Paul Keith's "Smoke in a Bottle." This is one of my favorite songs. I think I like it so much because it makes you just want to dance on up and down your dancing partner. (At least that is what it does for me.) John Whittemore's pedal steel makes me melt and think of Lucinda Williams. The bass and drums syncrontize beauifully. "Blue Rocket" nearly took my breath away. Other songs played (no clue if they were covers or not) had JPK singing, "I've been pushed around/I've been cheated been mistreated" and "oooh Mona." The last song I caught was Elvis' -- makes you wanna weep -- "Tomorrow Now." JPK mentioned earlier in their set something about "teardrops on my pillow." Well, I didn't go home and weep on my pillow...instead I dreamed about 'Honky Tonkin' until dawn.
*Bonus: STEVE MARRIOTT THE GREAT! Featuring songs from Small Faces and Humble Pie.
Labels: Steve Marriott and the Small Faces, The One Four Fives, Wallendas