Alive Experience: Ben Kweller w/ Tim Fite
@ Newby's 8-23-07
Just as I arrived opener Tim Fite and "his brother, Greg" were a good way into their performance. TF puts on a very interactive show. Just before their last song TF instructed everyone to cover their right eye and read from what appeared to be a Snellen chart, but it turned out he just had us spell "BK Rules." His last song was about being "shit on by rich men and women." TF made me think of an authentic Slim Shady from Cordova. I mean that with the utmost respect. TF left the audience's mouths open with confusion, awe and wonderment. His last words, "Be kind to everyone."
Between sets some of the Violent Femmes' 'greatest hits' played for the young crowd -- the median age could not have been over 21.
Ben Kweller took the stage wearing a yellow t-shirt that read "Fuck Y'all I'm From Texas" and announced "I've been waiting to play for you Memphis." This was Kweller's first performance in Elvis' hometown.
"Walk On Me" started things with BK singing "Please don't walk all over me." At the end of the song BK, bassist Chris Morrissey and drummer Mark Stepro simultaneously bowed. The harmonious pop-rock of "Family Tree" gave me the chills.
Kweller is a rocker through and through. At one point he displayed the greatest move I think I've ever seen. He took his left knee (with his foot on the ground) and swung it windmill-like with the neck of his guitar mimmicking the move just above. My description does not give this ultimate rock move justice. He then choked and assaulted his guitar. Pure Hilarity. I wish I had footage of this. You are forced to fall in love with BK. He writes anecdotes for the broken hearted.
During "I Need You Back" I noticed a cute girl was hoisted on her boy's shoulders. Their was major audience participation with a loud "Hey" here and another "Hey" there. The cute girl on the boy's shoulders was walking all through the audience. Once they made it over to my side I realized it was "Greg" (TF's brother). "Make it Up" had the audience singing "inside we're constantly afraid..." and BK reminded everyone, "they're only words, they don't hurt. I think we should meditate."
BK played his quick piano tune, "Sha Sha." With "In Other Words" and then BK solo on acoustic for "On My Way" our young friend, "Greg," began slow dancing with all of the cute girls up front as BK sang, "I thought I'd never love anyone, but tonight I'm on my way."
"Dueling banjos" (the creepy theme to Deliverance)was played right before BK introduced the next tune--"Fight." He explained to the young and eager crowd, "We're gonna make a country record in Austin." And went on to dedicate it to "all those truck drivers. 4:10!" -- Come to find out '4:10' is trucker talk. Yea, instead of 10:4 they say 4:10 cause they're all hyped up on yellow jackets or something.
"Sundress" had the couple to my right making out and the pretty young things in the front row go mad.
Then "The Rules" and "Penny on The Train Track" had everyone dancing to sweaty rock. The guys teased everyone and left the stage to make their encore legit. BK leaped across the stage and started playing their avant-garde fight jam, "Wasted and Ready." There was a broken string and so we had the pleasure of hearing a little Santana.
After the show I spoke with drummer Mark Stepro. I found out his favorite season is Fall (especially in Ohio and New York). He also mentioned how ridiculous it is that he gets to do what he does for a living. Finally, he's been listening to The National, Television, Heartless Bastards and Wilco.
To sum up the evening in two words: enchanting and unassuming.
Go see live music Memphis!

BK instructs young minds on "The Rules"

Bassist Chris Morrissey steps it up

View From Stage Right

Sweaty Keys for "Penny On A Train Track"

Drummer Mark Stepro working out after a
four mile run earlier in the afternoon
MP3 - Ben Kweller - On My Way
MP3 - Ben Kweller - Need You Back
MP3 - Ben Kweller - Commerce, TX
MP3 - Ben Kweller - In Other Words
Between sets some of the Violent Femmes' 'greatest hits' played for the young crowd -- the median age could not have been over 21.
Ben Kweller took the stage wearing a yellow t-shirt that read "Fuck Y'all I'm From Texas" and announced "I've been waiting to play for you Memphis." This was Kweller's first performance in Elvis' hometown.
"Walk On Me" started things with BK singing "Please don't walk all over me." At the end of the song BK, bassist Chris Morrissey and drummer Mark Stepro simultaneously bowed. The harmonious pop-rock of "Family Tree" gave me the chills.
Kweller is a rocker through and through. At one point he displayed the greatest move I think I've ever seen. He took his left knee (with his foot on the ground) and swung it windmill-like with the neck of his guitar mimmicking the move just above. My description does not give this ultimate rock move justice. He then choked and assaulted his guitar. Pure Hilarity. I wish I had footage of this. You are forced to fall in love with BK. He writes anecdotes for the broken hearted.
During "I Need You Back" I noticed a cute girl was hoisted on her boy's shoulders. Their was major audience participation with a loud "Hey" here and another "Hey" there. The cute girl on the boy's shoulders was walking all through the audience. Once they made it over to my side I realized it was "Greg" (TF's brother). "Make it Up" had the audience singing "inside we're constantly afraid..." and BK reminded everyone, "they're only words, they don't hurt. I think we should meditate."
BK played his quick piano tune, "Sha Sha." With "In Other Words" and then BK solo on acoustic for "On My Way" our young friend, "Greg," began slow dancing with all of the cute girls up front as BK sang, "I thought I'd never love anyone, but tonight I'm on my way."
"Dueling banjos" (the creepy theme to Deliverance)was played right before BK introduced the next tune--"Fight." He explained to the young and eager crowd, "We're gonna make a country record in Austin." And went on to dedicate it to "all those truck drivers. 4:10!" -- Come to find out '4:10' is trucker talk. Yea, instead of 10:4 they say 4:10 cause they're all hyped up on yellow jackets or something.
"Sundress" had the couple to my right making out and the pretty young things in the front row go mad.
Then "The Rules" and "Penny on The Train Track" had everyone dancing to sweaty rock. The guys teased everyone and left the stage to make their encore legit. BK leaped across the stage and started playing their avant-garde fight jam, "Wasted and Ready." There was a broken string and so we had the pleasure of hearing a little Santana.
After the show I spoke with drummer Mark Stepro. I found out his favorite season is Fall (especially in Ohio and New York). He also mentioned how ridiculous it is that he gets to do what he does for a living. Finally, he's been listening to The National, Television, Heartless Bastards and Wilco.
To sum up the evening in two words: enchanting and unassuming.
Go see live music Memphis!
BK instructs young minds on "The Rules"
Bassist Chris Morrissey steps it up
View From Stage Right
Sweaty Keys for "Penny On A Train Track"
Drummer Mark Stepro working out after a
four mile run earlier in the afternoon
MP3 - Ben Kweller - On My Way
MP3 - Ben Kweller - Need You Back
MP3 - Ben Kweller - Commerce, TX
MP3 - Ben Kweller - In Other Words
Labels: Ben Kweller, Live Review, Tim Fite