Interview: Marvin Stockwell of Pezz
For nearly twenty years, Marvin Stockwell has fronted the Memphis-based, melodic punk-rock band Pezz. Their seamless balance of punk aggression and pop hooks, combined with a tireless work ethic, and unflinching sincerity have earned the band respect from their peers both locally and nationally, and their influence continues to resonate strongly in Memphis' current DIY/punk scene. Over the course of their long career, the band released five good records, two of which were for the legendary L.A. punk label B.Y.O., and toured across North America and Europe with the likes of At the Drive-In, Hot Water Music, Elliott, Leatherface, and the late Wesley Willis (who penned the immortal classics "Pezz Can Rock, Pezz Can Roll" and "Marvin Stockwell" during their time together). Though the band has more-or-less retired from the grueling road schedule and full-time band-dom in general, they continue to write new songs together and play the occasional local gig. I spoke with Stockwell recently about the present state of the band, family life and the other projects that divide his time.
Scenestars: What have you been up to the last few years?
Marvin Stockwell: Before Pezz toured Europe in the fall of 2001, we had agreed to go on indefinite hiatus afterward. My wife Sarah had received a teaching assistantship to go to grad school for free. We knew we wanted to have children and, even though Pezz had built up a fan base across the US through constant touring, at the end of the day, I knew music would never provide a stable future for a family. Touring was great fun, and I'm glad we had the chance to see the world like we did, but something had to give.
I dusted off my decade-old journalism degree and started working as a reporter at a small weekly newspaper in rural Illinois. About a year after that I got a job as section editor and columnist at a suburban Chicago newspaper, the Northwest Herald. By the time we came back to Memphis in the fall of 2004, Sarah had her master's degree in film studies, I had a bit of journalism career started and we had an eight-month-old daughter in tow. I briefly worked as host of Morning Edition on WKNO before the Church Health Center hired me as public relations manager.
What made you want to get the band back together?
In once sense, we were never broken up. Bill Ellis wrote a great story for the Commercial Appeal on the occasion of our "last show" and there was even a teaser on the masthead that said "Pezz calls it quits after 12 years," but we never said we were breaking up. We played the odd show here and there during the hiatus. Once I moved back to Memphis, the pull to play in Pezz again was very strong. I missed playing music with Ceylon and Christian and just having the creative outlet. When you're a songwriter, you can say "I'm going to channel my creativity into other outlets," but you can't ever turn off the songwriting faucet completely. It took me a couple of years to get established in my job, and I also took the time to develop a regular exercise routine and lost 40 pounds. I needed to do some things for me and to make sure my family was adequately provided for before I let myself think about playing in Pezz again. I was very careful, because I knew how much I loved playing in the band and how easy it would be to get carried away. About a year ago, I felt I could find time to practice once a week and play Memphis shows.
Your wife just gave birth to your second daughter. How has fatherhood affected the band both logistically and creatively?
Needless to say, the Pezz touring shoes are permanently in mothballs. Touring puts a strain on a marriage and my daughters definitely need their dad at home. As far as lyrics, I do have a song half written that's about my oldest daughter Genevieve. Lyrics for me lately have been harder to write. Some of it is a factor of time. Being a husband and father, working full time and trying to find time to exercise, play in a band, be active at church and have a bit of a social life leaves little time for creative writing. And sure, being a parent changes your whole outlook on life. Genevieve has been to a Pezz show, and almost every day when I get home from work, she'll say, "Daddy, turn on rock some rock and roll." She asks for Social Distortion, Rocket from the Crypt, Leatherface and Pezz all by name. Keeping that company in my daughters rock lexicon makes dad very proud. Speaking of kids and loud music, I've put our name in the hat to play Rock n Romp this summer, and I really hope they call us because I love kids, and I love the idea of backyard rock shows for children. I want my daughters to grow up knowing that music is something real people make and that it's within their power to be creative and participate. That was what was so revolutionary about discovering the punk/hardcore scene for me - seeing that music was not about rock stars, groupies and backstage passes but that real people my own age weren't waiting for a record deal or anything, they were just getting up on stage and pouring themselves into their music full bore. Grassroots music of all stripes is still just as superior to the crappy, corporate stuff that has all the backing. As I type I just realized that today is the 20th anniversary (to the day) of my first punk show . . . May 16, 1987. Suicidal Tendencies and Metro Waste at the Antenna.
What does the future hold for Pezz?
We're playing out as often as we can and expect to keep that up. I assumed we'd essentially be starting over in terms of having an audience. But it turns out lots of people actually remember us and are glad we're playing again. I've been blown away by how supportive people have been and how Pezz has really been welcomed back and given a leg up. It's great to see old friends at shows and to meet people who got into our records after we went on hiatus. And of course there are plenty of people who have no idea who Pezz is. A guy came up to me after our last show at Murphy's and said, "You guys are awesome. Do you have anything out?" I said, "Actually we've got four albums." Wouldn't you know that was the one night we forgot to bring any records or CDs?
Even though our scope is different, many of Pezz's goals are the same. We still want to write songs that we like and that speak to people. We want to play shows and connect with people in Memphis who like what we're doing. We want to have fun and continue to make people think by what we write about. Lyrics are very important to us. I didn't stop learning just because I have a wife, two children and a stable job. We've got a diverse age range in the band now, from early 20s to later 30s, and each of us brings a different perspective to the table. Pezz has always been about real experience expressed through music that is the combined creative output of its members. Anthony was a great addition to the band and he fits us so well on a heart level. The fact that he is also a great guitar player and writer is really just a bonus. In short, we feel like we still have something to say. As long as life keeps teaching us and everyone is committed to bringing that experience into practice to see what we create from it, Pezz will remain an active band. We're planning to record for an upcoming Makeshift comp to benefit the Church Health Center, then we've got plans to record a split LP/CD with our friends in While I Breathe I Hope to be co-released by Smith 7 and Makeshift. I'm excited about the new songs were writing and I still think we're just getting the pump primed. By next year, I think we'll be ready to record a proper full-length.
If you were forced into complete rock retirement, would you be satisfied with all the band has accomplished over the years?
Yes and no. I am proud of all Pezz did and released 1989-2001, but I can definitely hear the next Pezz record in my head and it sounds great to me. I know it will be very good. So, I'd be a little disappointed if we stopped now. Plus, I'm meeting all sorts of great new local bands and am looking forward to getting to know people in the music scene again.
Do you see any parallels between your current work for a non-profit company and being an independent artist/musician?
Like I said, I am the public relations manager for the Church Health Center, which provides affordable health care for uninsured working people. We also have a wellness center called Hope & Healing, which is how I became a regular exerciser and lost all the weight. There are parallels between my work and being in Pezz. Being an active member in the punk scene teaches you to do things yourself and how to cooperate with others in a grassroots way. I put what I learned to use every day for the Church Health Center. And just like I hope Pezz is an agent for positive change and encouragement and an expression of art and beauty, the Church Health Center is a place I can feel very good working for. I feel very good putting my skills as a writer, editor and communicator at the service of a ministry that is doing so much good for the community. The CHC is a force for social change and a conduit for God's ongoing redemptive work if you want to get mystical about it. When we decided to move back to Memphis, I knew I didn't want to work just anywhere. I intentionally did not send my resume to places that would "make sense." I didn"t send my resume to any PR agencies (because who wants his skills hired out to just anyone) or to any big companies like FedEx or International Paper. Instead, I made a list of about 25 places I'd really like to work. The Church Health Center was at the top of my list. I've worked here about 2 years and really enjoy what I do.
Tell me about the benefit concert for the CHC you're organizing with Makeshift.
Both my worlds will come together for this show and I'm really excited about it. Makeshift bands and other bands from across the sound spectrum will come together for what is shaping up to be an awesome bill which will likely be one of the biggest shows this year. It'll take place at the Gibson Lounge on Friday, July 27. Confirmed bands so far are Pezz, Two Way Radio, the Third Man (formerly Augustine), and the Makeshift Mafia (members of Snowglobe and the Coach and Four). There will also be a Makeshift compilation coming out in conjunction with the show that will benefit the CHC as well. To me, it's fitting that Memphis music scene unites across genres for this cause, since the Church Health Center provides healthcare to so many working musicians.
Finally, I know you're a massive University of Memphis basketball fan - how far can Cal take the Tigers next season?
I've been a Tiger fan since I was a little boy, so this is a completely hardwired in, emotional answer . . . and frankly the answer I would give almost any year . . . The Tigers are going all the way man. Genevieve knows how to sing the Tiger song too.
Thanks, dog.
See Pezz live June 8 @ Murphy's with Dragoon (members of Trusty and the Grifters) or July 27 @ the Gibson Lounge.
Pezz on Myspace
B.Y.O. Records store
Labels: Interview, Marvin Stockwell, Pezz