SXSW Punks
Last year when I attended SXSW to cover the Goner Showcase at Beerland, The Commercial Appeal sent in my request for a press pass too late and I was stuck without a badge. It all worked out as the Goner folks got me into the show and I spent about 8 hours punk-rocking out, slamming beers and watching guys come up and take a piss under the bar. It was memorable to say the least. This year, still badgeless, but with a stack of invites to private, high-dollar sponsored parties, I missed most of the Goner show, only stumbling into Beerland for about half an hour Thursday night to wink at Jay Reatard and give King Louie a high five before making my way back to the Norwegian Showcase at Emo's to see I Heart Comix fiasco Friday night at The Genie Room where we had been super excited to see Spankrock and Diplo, only for the show to be closed down an hour after it finally got started, we declined to make the trip a second night in a row. The Vice party was actually moved to a new venue, something that we did not find out until we arrived back at our hotel late Saturday when we checked our email. The point being is this year I missed most of the great punk and garage acts. Luckily, I found this video which pretty much sums up what going to those shows would have been like. It includes: wax museums, spunks, times new viking, cheap time, clockcleaner, birthday suits, marked men, ladies night, ryan wong, livefastdie, jay reatard, black lips, mans, juiceboxxx, high tension wires, hex dispensers, spits, white savage, goodnight loving, cpc gangbangs, wooden shjips, boston chinks, carbonas, gentleman jesse, and brimstone howl. Nice.
Other great performances I missed...
Melvins
Fucked Up
Chromeo
Jay Reatard
Kid Sister
Sure, some may say that I only checked out the pussy bands this year, but I also didn't throw up, get thrown up on, witness any fist fights or get offered any meth...of course, I still ended up with beer in my hair.
Other great performances I missed...
Melvins
Fucked Up
Chromeo
Jay Reatard
Kid Sister
Sure, some may say that I only checked out the pussy bands this year, but I also didn't throw up, get thrown up on, witness any fist fights or get offered any meth...of course, I still ended up with beer in my hair.