Best of 2006 - Brandon Thornburg
I am not going to bore you with the logistics of why it has taken me this long to post former Scenestars writer Brandon Thornburg's "Best of 2006" list - but you better believe when I see him, he is gonna get an earful! Brandon has been toying with the idea of writing for this site again, I hope he finally comes around!
Anyway, thanks for a great list Brandon - I know it's late, but like they say, "If you haven't heard it, it's still news to you..."
1. 10lec6 - Join US EP (Troubleman Unlimited)
10lec6 is the perfect marriage of Post-Punk/No-Wave and hardcore. A track from the 4-song Join Us 12" has managed to work its way in to every DJ set that I have played for the last several months. It rocks my face, and it deserves not to be pounded with verbiage, comparison and interpretation. Join Us is simply the best thing I have heard all year. It's house music for old, dirty, jaded motherfuckers, and that's what I need. The 10lec6 LP, Counseling Orientation, was slated for release in April 2006, but it has not yet appeared. I can't wait. I hope they read this and become truly inspired to get the damned thing done... Right. I still don't know how to pronounce their name... They're French. What can you do?
10lec6 - bla_bla_bla_(version).mp3
2. Tussle - Telescope Mind (Smalltown Supersound)
Tussle has been my one of my very favorite bands for the last few years. It was fortunate for me (having to compile this list) that their second LP beat the end of the year by a month or so. Tussle has moved away from a near over-controlled dub sound (which was great but almost wore me out) to an expansive, simultaneous conjuring of No-Wave and Kraut Rock's best moments. Appearances by Liquid Liquid's Dennis Young and Sal Principato certainly don't hurt at all.
tussle - trappings.mp3
3. Test Icicles - For Screening Purposes Only (Domino)
This shit is scary. It is mean and nasty. It's the most fun I have had in a long time. I collects my disparate history of musical interests and combines them all in a single sound. Test Icicles is brutal and discordant in the way that American hardcore was in the early 90's. They fly in the face of that tradition, however, by following its rules while making dance music. Yep, it's disco. Hear for yourself.
test icicles - all your need is blood.mp3
4. The Knife - Silent Shout (Rabid)
Silent Shout is the best electronic pop album I have heard in years. It's strikingly creative both musically and lyrically, and it's also downright odd. Silent Shout's strength lies in a quirkiness that causes all comparisons to its synth-pop roots to fall flat. It definitely wears it's influences on its sleeve, but the record is not nostalgic novelty. It is something else entirely, but I am not quite sure what that is. Judge for yourself. Incidentally, The Knife gives me an overwhelming desire unearth my most awful goth regalia from my mother's attic (moth-eaten since 1993). I just don't if I would look the way I remember in bondage pants. A Warning: Avoid The Knife's earlier material at all costs. Trust me.
The Knife - like a pen.mp3
5. Shitdisco - Disco Blood EP (Fierce Panda)
I ran across Shitdisco over the summer on MySpace (I was not trolling for girls that are ten years my junior, I swear), and I instantly began playing both original songs (The EP contains two originals and a remix of each) at every possible opportunity. Disco Blood and I know Kung Fu hearken back to the post-disco of Liquid Liquid and A Certain Ratio (Are you noticing any themes here?), but they are much more dramatic and playful. Shitdisco is part of the growing New Rave (They need a better moniker) movement in the UK. It has managed to avoid the US radar thus far. That won't last long. You might also check out the Digital Penetration compilation on Everyone I know loves Shitdisco, and you should too.
shitdisco - Disco Blood.mp3
Others:
Justice - Waters of Nazareth
Erase Errata - Night Life
Spank Rock - YoYoYoYoYo
Sunset Rubdown - Shut Up I Am Dreaming
Anyway, thanks for a great list Brandon - I know it's late, but like they say, "If you haven't heard it, it's still news to you..."
1. 10lec6 - Join US EP (Troubleman Unlimited)
10lec6 is the perfect marriage of Post-Punk/No-Wave and hardcore. A track from the 4-song Join Us 12" has managed to work its way in to every DJ set that I have played for the last several months. It rocks my face, and it deserves not to be pounded with verbiage, comparison and interpretation. Join Us is simply the best thing I have heard all year. It's house music for old, dirty, jaded motherfuckers, and that's what I need. The 10lec6 LP, Counseling Orientation, was slated for release in April 2006, but it has not yet appeared. I can't wait. I hope they read this and become truly inspired to get the damned thing done... Right. I still don't know how to pronounce their name... They're French. What can you do?
10lec6 - bla_bla_bla_(version).mp3
2. Tussle - Telescope Mind (Smalltown Supersound)
Tussle has been my one of my very favorite bands for the last few years. It was fortunate for me (having to compile this list) that their second LP beat the end of the year by a month or so. Tussle has moved away from a near over-controlled dub sound (which was great but almost wore me out) to an expansive, simultaneous conjuring of No-Wave and Kraut Rock's best moments. Appearances by Liquid Liquid's Dennis Young and Sal Principato certainly don't hurt at all.
tussle - trappings.mp3
3. Test Icicles - For Screening Purposes Only (Domino)
This shit is scary. It is mean and nasty. It's the most fun I have had in a long time. I collects my disparate history of musical interests and combines them all in a single sound. Test Icicles is brutal and discordant in the way that American hardcore was in the early 90's. They fly in the face of that tradition, however, by following its rules while making dance music. Yep, it's disco. Hear for yourself.
test icicles - all your need is blood.mp3
4. The Knife - Silent Shout (Rabid)
Silent Shout is the best electronic pop album I have heard in years. It's strikingly creative both musically and lyrically, and it's also downright odd. Silent Shout's strength lies in a quirkiness that causes all comparisons to its synth-pop roots to fall flat. It definitely wears it's influences on its sleeve, but the record is not nostalgic novelty. It is something else entirely, but I am not quite sure what that is. Judge for yourself. Incidentally, The Knife gives me an overwhelming desire unearth my most awful goth regalia from my mother's attic (moth-eaten since 1993). I just don't if I would look the way I remember in bondage pants. A Warning: Avoid The Knife's earlier material at all costs. Trust me.
The Knife - like a pen.mp3
5. Shitdisco - Disco Blood EP (Fierce Panda)
I ran across Shitdisco over the summer on MySpace (I was not trolling for girls that are ten years my junior, I swear), and I instantly began playing both original songs (The EP contains two originals and a remix of each) at every possible opportunity. Disco Blood and I know Kung Fu hearken back to the post-disco of Liquid Liquid and A Certain Ratio (Are you noticing any themes here?), but they are much more dramatic and playful. Shitdisco is part of the growing New Rave (They need a better moniker) movement in the UK. It has managed to avoid the US radar thus far. That won't last long. You might also check out the Digital Penetration compilation on Everyone I know loves Shitdisco, and you should too.
shitdisco - Disco Blood.mp3
Others:
Justice - Waters of Nazareth
Erase Errata - Night Life
Spank Rock - YoYoYoYoYo
Sunset Rubdown - Shut Up I Am Dreaming
Labels: 10lec6, Erase Errata, Justice, Shitdisco, Spank Rock, Sunset Rubdown, Test Icicles, The Knife, Tussle