Best of 2006 - John from Communique
Ok, first a confession of partying way too much and not being prompt about posting all of the "Best of 2006" lists that I bugged people to write for me before the dawning of 2007. Oh well, shit happens. I plan on spending the rest of the week getting them all online so I can move on to listening to the very large stack of CD's on my desk that I kind of blew off for the past several months. My New Year's resolution was to stop drinking and smoking (holy shit! what?) so I should have plenty of time to get stuff done. Wish me luck....
I think the first time I saw Communique was in February of 2005 when they opened for Lucero in Memphis. It was obviously a show trade as the two bands were not similar in sound in the least. However, I remember that night being happy that I had showed up early for the opener, cause they were really, really good. After that show their single "Secret Weapon" was on permanent rotation in all of my DJ sets. I still love that song.
Anyway, here's their official message:
Yo yo, our extended play single, er E.P. is out now. Click here to buy it directly from us, and we'll cut out the middlemen, right? Right. We're pretty stoked to say that you can soon buy the EP digitally from our site as well. Plus, you get album artwork when you buy it from us directly. Besides, we're better friends than iTunes or somesuch aren't we?
We're going into the studio in the next week or so to begin recording our follow up to 2004's Poison Arrows. It's been too long, but we have a lot of great material, and we can't wait to present it to you personally in the spring of 2007. We will be coming to your town.
In other news, Rory has started a new record label called Artist Music Group. The focus is going to be on putting great music and connecting artists closer together with music fans. Doing it all with equity and integrity as the golden rule. Not a new idea, but sadly few and far between these days. Releases will be announced in the future.
Ryan has bought his own recording studio, Sharkbite Studios. This is where we have recorded for years and where we will be creating our forthcoming record. Pretty rad. Check it out http://www.sharkbitestudios.com
http://www.myspace.com/sharkbitestudios
John is co-editor of Beeswax Magazine, a quarterly journal that publishes poetry,
prose, comics and other intriguing miscellany:
http://www.beeswaxmagazine.com
http://www.myspace.com/beeswaxmagazine
So we have not been touring this year but we have been very busy, and are finally free from our contractual obligations with Lookout Records. It's been trying for us but we are more prepared and energized than ever before. Have a great holiday season, please enjoy Walk Into The Light, and we will be seeing you in 2007. Woo-hoo!!!
LoveLoveLove
Communique
And here is John's 2006 Best of List:
I generally draw a blank when I try to think of records I like from just the past 11 months, so three of these are from Iceland, a country I had the pleasure of visiting recently. I don't think any of those three are available in the US, but of course they're easy enough to find on the internet.
1. Skakkamanage - Lab of Love
Icelandic folk-based husband-and-wife fronted band, like Low but without the creepy Mormon vibe. This record is amazing.
2. Eberg - Voff Voff
Apparently he was on the OC recently, which makes me way less cool for listing this. Another excellent record from a volcano in the middle of the North Atlantic.
3. Tom Waits - Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers and Bastards
An epic triple CD of previously unreleased stuff. Out of 5 stars, I would rate this record Really Expensive.
4. The Velvet Teen - Cum Laude
A little nepotistic, because they're friends, but this record is really unique. Almost thrashy in a twitchy, digital way.
5. Jakobinarina - His Lyrics Are Disastrous (EP)
Three songs, all of which are on their myspace page. Brilliant.

http://scenestars.net/2005/03/communique-perfect-weapon.php
I think the first time I saw Communique was in February of 2005 when they opened for Lucero in Memphis. It was obviously a show trade as the two bands were not similar in sound in the least. However, I remember that night being happy that I had showed up early for the opener, cause they were really, really good. After that show their single "Secret Weapon" was on permanent rotation in all of my DJ sets. I still love that song.
Anyway, here's their official message:
Yo yo, our extended play single, er E.P. is out now. Click here to buy it directly from us, and we'll cut out the middlemen, right? Right. We're pretty stoked to say that you can soon buy the EP digitally from our site as well. Plus, you get album artwork when you buy it from us directly. Besides, we're better friends than iTunes or somesuch aren't we?
We're going into the studio in the next week or so to begin recording our follow up to 2004's Poison Arrows. It's been too long, but we have a lot of great material, and we can't wait to present it to you personally in the spring of 2007. We will be coming to your town.
In other news, Rory has started a new record label called Artist Music Group. The focus is going to be on putting great music and connecting artists closer together with music fans. Doing it all with equity and integrity as the golden rule. Not a new idea, but sadly few and far between these days. Releases will be announced in the future.
Ryan has bought his own recording studio, Sharkbite Studios. This is where we have recorded for years and where we will be creating our forthcoming record. Pretty rad. Check it out http://www.sharkbitestudios.com
http://www.myspace.com/sharkbitestudios
John is co-editor of Beeswax Magazine, a quarterly journal that publishes poetry,
prose, comics and other intriguing miscellany:
http://www.beeswaxmagazine.com
http://www.myspace.com/beeswaxmagazine
So we have not been touring this year but we have been very busy, and are finally free from our contractual obligations with Lookout Records. It's been trying for us but we are more prepared and energized than ever before. Have a great holiday season, please enjoy Walk Into The Light, and we will be seeing you in 2007. Woo-hoo!!!
LoveLoveLove
Communique
And here is John's 2006 Best of List:
I generally draw a blank when I try to think of records I like from just the past 11 months, so three of these are from Iceland, a country I had the pleasure of visiting recently. I don't think any of those three are available in the US, but of course they're easy enough to find on the internet.
1. Skakkamanage - Lab of Love
Icelandic folk-based husband-and-wife fronted band, like Low but without the creepy Mormon vibe. This record is amazing.
2. Eberg - Voff Voff
Apparently he was on the OC recently, which makes me way less cool for listing this. Another excellent record from a volcano in the middle of the North Atlantic.
3. Tom Waits - Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers and Bastards
An epic triple CD of previously unreleased stuff. Out of 5 stars, I would rate this record Really Expensive.
4. The Velvet Teen - Cum Laude
A little nepotistic, because they're friends, but this record is really unique. Almost thrashy in a twitchy, digital way.
5. Jakobinarina - His Lyrics Are Disastrous (EP)
Three songs, all of which are on their myspace page. Brilliant.
http://scenestars.net/2005/03/communique-perfect-weapon.php
Labels: Best of 2006, John from Communique