Best of 2006 - Alex Blagg from BWE
So, I met native Memphian Alex Blagg last winter when he came home for the Holidays. I took him to some cool parties, he did his hilarious stand-up act for a packed house at The Hi-tone, we had dinner on New Year's Eve, and basically became BFF!! Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit. Actually I think I have only spoken to him twice since 2005, and I think it was to get him "plus ones" to some shows that he didn't show up for!! (He knew I was gonna bring that up!)
Anyway, Alex is one of the writers for the consistently hysterical Best Week Ever blog. It keeps me up to date with who's flashing vag, dating Starvos, and who's in rehab AND I can still say to my friends, "I don't really watch tv..." and I'm not even lying!! They also tell you the scoop on what movies are blowing up, what the hipsters are listening to on their ipods, and of course, there's my favorite post, Douchebag of the Week.
So, here's Alex's list - it's not that detailed, but like me, I'm sure he saves most of his best content for when someone is paying for it. Oh, and is that "absurd" comment a swipe against me? Guess I'll find out when Alex returns home for the holidays and we become xtreme texting buddies again!
While trying to objectively list the five BEST albums of any particular year is an inherently absurd proposition, I am comfortable listing the 5 albums I listened to the most. They are:
1. Band of Horses, "Everything All the Time" - They should have called this album "Everywhere, All the Time", because that's how you'll listen to it.
The First Song - MP3
2. The Strokes, "First Impressions of Earth" - If you don't like The Strokes, you're either not listening, or listening to the wrong people.
On The Other Side - MP3
3. Bishop Allen, "Monthly EP Project" - These dudes released a new EP online every month this year, and all twelve are amazing.
Download 5 MP3's from Bishop Allen's Website.
4. Ghostface Killah, "Fishscale" - Smart, hilarious and highly educational (if you're as white as I am).
Big Girl - MP3
5. Bob Dylan, "Modern Times" - Newsflash: Bob Dylan is fucking good.
When The Deal Goes Down - MP3
Honorable Mentions: Ben Kweller, Cold War Kids, Albert Hammond Jr.

Who's that handsome guy?

Anyway, Alex is one of the writers for the consistently hysterical Best Week Ever blog. It keeps me up to date with who's flashing vag, dating Starvos, and who's in rehab AND I can still say to my friends, "I don't really watch tv..." and I'm not even lying!! They also tell you the scoop on what movies are blowing up, what the hipsters are listening to on their ipods, and of course, there's my favorite post, Douchebag of the Week.
So, here's Alex's list - it's not that detailed, but like me, I'm sure he saves most of his best content for when someone is paying for it. Oh, and is that "absurd" comment a swipe against me? Guess I'll find out when Alex returns home for the holidays and we become xtreme texting buddies again!
While trying to objectively list the five BEST albums of any particular year is an inherently absurd proposition, I am comfortable listing the 5 albums I listened to the most. They are:
1. Band of Horses, "Everything All the Time" - They should have called this album "Everywhere, All the Time", because that's how you'll listen to it.
The First Song - MP3
2. The Strokes, "First Impressions of Earth" - If you don't like The Strokes, you're either not listening, or listening to the wrong people.
On The Other Side - MP3
3. Bishop Allen, "Monthly EP Project" - These dudes released a new EP online every month this year, and all twelve are amazing.
Download 5 MP3's from Bishop Allen's Website.
4. Ghostface Killah, "Fishscale" - Smart, hilarious and highly educational (if you're as white as I am).
Big Girl - MP3
5. Bob Dylan, "Modern Times" - Newsflash: Bob Dylan is fucking good.
When The Deal Goes Down - MP3
Honorable Mentions: Ben Kweller, Cold War Kids, Albert Hammond Jr.
Who's that handsome guy?
Labels: Alex Blagg, Best of 2006, Best Week Ever