Ryan Adams - Lollapalooza Day 1 - 2006
Before I start posting my recap of Lolla in Chicago, I guess I should clarify a few things. First, living in Memphis, I am spoiled rotten. I am very rarely not on the front row for a show and I learned this weekend that I really, really like it that way! The point being, after sitting in the photo pit for up to a half hour vying for position among at least a hundred or so other people, once we were kicked out after the third song (which is pretty standard) I usually caught a few more songs as I meandered my way to the next performance. After being within a few feet of each musician, it really wasn't appetizing to end up behind 20,000 people to catch the rest of the performance on the gigantic screens next to each stage.
So, each of my short reviews will only include my impressions of the beginning of each artists set rather than their full performances. I am sure I missed a lot, but that's cool cause I saw a lot too. It looks like most of my colleagues are done with talking about Lolla, but I've only just begun and I have lots of stuff other than just the performances to report on.
As for Ryan Adams, the general impression I got from my fellow bloggers was that his performance was not very exciting. But in defense of "Cryin" Adams, who is one of my favorite artists period, he had played a show the night before and ended up playing the middle of the day on a stage with the sun blazing right in his face. As soon as he strummed his first note you could see the sweat start to pur off his body. But as long as I was there he didn't complain. Of course, except when Cardinals bassist Catherine Popper asked where the lake breeze she had requested in her rider was - Adams commiserated that his Kiera Knightly didn't show up either.
I enjoyed Adams, especially his uptempo-countrified version of Dear Chicago from Demolition. I wondered if the crowd's reaction to the song came from the word Chicago being in the title or if they enjoyed the new version...




Ryan from Muzzle of Bees and Dodge from MOKB

More Pics Here (P.S. remember - if you click on the mid-sized pics you can check them out in all of their full-scale glory!)
Ryan Adams - Dear Chicago - MP3
So, each of my short reviews will only include my impressions of the beginning of each artists set rather than their full performances. I am sure I missed a lot, but that's cool cause I saw a lot too. It looks like most of my colleagues are done with talking about Lolla, but I've only just begun and I have lots of stuff other than just the performances to report on.
As for Ryan Adams, the general impression I got from my fellow bloggers was that his performance was not very exciting. But in defense of "Cryin" Adams, who is one of my favorite artists period, he had played a show the night before and ended up playing the middle of the day on a stage with the sun blazing right in his face. As soon as he strummed his first note you could see the sweat start to pur off his body. But as long as I was there he didn't complain. Of course, except when Cardinals bassist Catherine Popper asked where the lake breeze she had requested in her rider was - Adams commiserated that his Kiera Knightly didn't show up either.
I enjoyed Adams, especially his uptempo-countrified version of Dear Chicago from Demolition. I wondered if the crowd's reaction to the song came from the word Chicago being in the title or if they enjoyed the new version...
Ryan from Muzzle of Bees and Dodge from MOKB
More Pics Here (P.S. remember - if you click on the mid-sized pics you can check them out in all of their full-scale glory!)
Ryan Adams - Dear Chicago - MP3