Solvent - My Radio (Mitgang Audio Remix)
Solvent (Jason Amm) has always been an artist I feel like I should love, but he usually leaves me wondering, wishing for more. I definately appreciate his feel for the analog and his talent for manipulating electronic antiquities (hardly an appropriate term when one is not speaking to hipsters who came of age in the 80's), but I have a hard time listening to his music. I think it focuses too much upon itself - much like the earliest electronic "Moog" music of Hot Butter or Perrey-Kingsley. It becomes more than a little bit boring for it's oversimplicity of composition and lack of passion after the novelty wears off. But the remixes are another story entirely. Third parties tend to give Solvent's skeletal pieces what they are missing. Mitgang Audio - a completely unasheamed electro-pop outfit - worked wonders for "My Radio." Check out the rest of Radio Ga Ga Parts 1 & 2 (both remix EPs) if like good electro-pop or you feel like I do about Solvent.