Beulah - Popular Mechanics For Lovers
Beulah's 3rd record, the quirky The Coast Is Never Clear, is filled with some of the best song title's I've ever come across: What Will You Do When Your Suntan Fades?, A Good Man Is Easy To Kill, and Night Is The Day Turned Inside Out are classic indie pop with twangy melodies and spirited lyrics of a guy who's not too cool to care. Although I'd love to give you a smart and witty review of the album as a whole, Miles Kurosky already explained it perfectly:
"With (this) record, I knew I didn't want to make the same one twice. There's a bossa nova song, a country song, a soul song, an ambient one, an Asian thing, a song that almost sounds like Macha -- it all sounds like Beulah to me. We're influenced as much by Stereolab as the Beatles and Beach Boys. . . . This record was more influenced by going out on the road with Wilco and loving Summer Teeth than it was a lot of other records."
Popular Mechanics for Lovers is my favorite song off this classic album.
BREAKING NEWS: Beulah played their last show at Castle Clinton today in NYC. Damnit!